The Assistant Purchase Manager is responsible for overseeing all raw material (RM), packing material (PM), inventory items, consumables and capital goods purchases for the organization. He will evaluate and recommend vendors and determine the most cost-effective inventory and reorder levels. He will negotiate price, delivery, and credit terms among the responsibilities.
Essential duties and responsibilities
- Responsible for efficient purchasing of RM/PM, inventory supplies, and capital equipment. Receives purchase requisitions and verifies for accuracy and authorization(s). Periodically evaluates vendors/suppliers and advises Management when vendors are not meeting requirements. Evaluates and recommend new/substitute vendors, when necessary.
- Prepares and issues purchase orders; determines and negotiates prices, delivery and credit terms; buys according to established company policies and procedures; maintains accurate purchasing records.
- Responsible for evaluating, assessing and selecting vendors based on capabilities, performance and consistent quality. Maintains rapport and good working relationships with vendors; keeps accurate vendor records.
- Evaluates inventory reorder levels and quantity price breaks to determine the most economical purchasing of inventory and supplies concerning the company’s cost of capital. Prepares monthly reports and reviews forecast of purchasing commitments with Management.
- Expedites purchase orders as necessary and ensures delivery of purchased items for uninterrupted manufacturing flow.
- Performs other purchasing or inventory control duties as necessary or as requested.
Reports to the General Manager - Purchase. Coordinates activities with all departments, especially Manufacturing, Accounts Payable, and Warehouse. Works with Quality Control to ensure the quality of purchased materials.
The Assistant Purchase Manager follows Company’s procedures and policies. He also takes the responsibility of ownership of Purchase procedures and reviews the procedures on time to time basis to keep in tune with the market and technology.
A bachelor’s degree (majoring in Polymer or Chemistry) is required. A post-graduation in Material Management is preferred. Good communication skills and the ability to work well with people are essential. Good leadership skills are beneficial. He should be familiar with the SAP-based purchase cycle. Knowledge of Imports is essential and should be well conversant with Import procedures, CHA handling, LCs, forex expenses. A diploma or Certificate course in Export / Import is desirable.
Soft skill demands
The ability to communicate orally with vendors, management, and other co-workers, both individually and in front of a group is crucial. Regular use of the telephone and e-mail for communication is essential. Good command of English, Hindi and at least one regional language is essential.
The candidate should have high moral and ethical values while dealing with vendors and other authorities.
Sitting for extended periods is common. Hearing and vision within normal ranges is essential for normal conversations, and be prepared to make or inspect documents.
Good exposure for the use of common office applications such as computer terminals, laptops, SAP system, Vendor Relationship Management system calculator, copiers.
The job is performed indoors in a traditional office setting. Activities include extended periods of sitting and extensive work at a computer. Hence knowledge of common Office applications such as Excel, Word, PowerPoint is necessary.
Should have at least 7 to10 years of purchase experience in the Chemical industry
Plastic or PVC industries are essential. Of which at least 1 to 2 years in handling team.